You have probably heard about CBD oil which is now the new kid on the block in the health and wellness industry. Cannabidiol, commonly referred to as CBD, is a naturally-occurring chemical in cannabis (marijuana and hemp) plants. It is just one of the many chemical compounds that are found in this plant.
The reason why CBD has gained so much popularity is the simple fact that it is believed to have so many health benefits. Anxiety, depression, and sleep difficulties, to mention a few, are some of the health benefits of CBD.
Today, you can get CBD oil in tinctures, capsules, food items as well as bath products like lotions and bath bombs.
Unlike its close counterpart, THC, CBD has no intoxicating effects meaning that it is non-psychoactive. You, therefore, do not expect to get high upon using CBD. As we have stated, CBD proponents have claimed that it helps with so many health issues. However, research on the benefits of CBD is still ongoing to gather evidence that can back up the claims.
Benefits of CBD
Researchers are seriously looking for answers by exploring the full capability of CBD. So far, it is known that CBD has already been proven as a treatment for epilepsy. Apart from that, early research has so much promise on the role of CBD in different anxiety disorders.
Here are a few of CBD’s advantages:
- Approved in treating epilepsy- Back in 2018, the very first CBD-containing drug known as Epidiolex was approved by the FDA. The drug was released on the market as a treatment for two rare forms of epilepsy. These are Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome and Dravet Syndrome. According to the FDA, Epidiolex treatment can be administered to patients as young as 2 years.
- Alleviating anxiety- Even though more research is still needed, a review article in 2015 looked at the effects of CBD on several anxiety disorders. These include PTSD, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and seasonal affective disorder. Results showed that CBD could be a good treatment for these anxiety disorders but research is still needed to determine the proper dosage.
- Reducing pain- CBD has attracted so much attention for its ability to minimize pain. If you have physical pain from arthritis or neuropathic pain from multiple sclerosis, CBD could help. CBD is also known to help with the inflammatory diseases that bring you pain.
- Addiction treatment- addiction to drugs normally affects different brain circuits which makes you develop a dependence on drugs like morphine and heroin. CBD will work to correct these brain circuits to alleviate that dependency.
- Fighting insomnia- if you are giving trouble falling asleep, CBD could change everything for the better. Since CBD is linked with anxiety reduction, worries that keep you awake will be carried away by CBD.
- Antipsychotic effects- CBD has been seen to reduce psychotic symptoms among people suffering from different mental disorders like psychosis. People have actual relief from using CBD oil.
Dosage and Side Effects of CBD
The FDA is yet to regulate CBD which therefore means that there is a specific recommended dosage. All the same, doses in most clinical trials range from 100 to 800mg daily. Before using CBD products, it is wise to talk to your healthcare provider so that you can work on a safe dosage plan that works best for you. That strategy is designed to take into account your symptoms as well as any medications or supplements you’re taking.
Side Effects of CBD
CBD research is still ongoing and there are several questions that researchers are seeking answers. For instance, people want to know whether the method of CBD consumption affects the efficacy or risks of CBD. As much as CBD proponents confess about the benefits of CBD, there are side effects associated with it too.
Below are some of them:
- Liver injury- as drug trials were being carried out for Epidiolex, one of the side effects determined by the FDA was liver damage. Consuming CBD under the constant supervision of your healthcare expert is the best method to manage this adverse effect.
- Fertility damage- even though CBD research is still in its early stages, it seems that there isn’t a good relation between CBD and sperm count. This also affects other measures of male fertility including sperm mobility and viability.
- Interaction with other medication- in case you are under other medication, it is good to understand that CBD is likely to affect their efficacy. For that matter, you might need to re-evaluate your dose with your healthcare provider. What CBD is likely to do is simply interact with other medications to cause side effects. It is always good to talk with your doctor before using CBD.
Cost of CBD
Most people ask about the average CBD cost. Well, CBD oil drops will have a price range from $0.04 and $0.05/mg to $0.20/mg. Some stronger CBD oil drops often cost even higher than $0.50/mg. CBD edibles cost a bit more than the oil because of additional process involved while manufacturing. CBD topical products usually costs similar or near close to CBD oils. However, the most common factor that determines price for each CBD products is their concentration of CBD. The more stronger the product the higher price it will be.
As we have discussed above, the benefits of CBD can span far beyond altering the functioning of the brain. Precisely, the body has an endocannabinoid system that works with cannabinoid receptors in the immune system and the brain. This helps to reduce inflammation, pain, and other issues that jeopardize internal homeostasis. CBD mimics the natural receptors to maintain homeostasis.
Above, we have listed the different health benefits of CBD. People prefer CBD gummies as a way of ingesting CBD for taste issues. However, if you are looking for fast results from CBD, it is advisable to orally administer CBD in the form of CBD oil using a dropper. Most importantly, talk to your doctor before using any CBD product.